Can TB be treated?
- Latent and active TB can both be treated by taking medicine.
- It is very important that people being treated for TB finish their medicine, which might take 6 months to a year.
- If medicine is not taken correctly, the germs that are still alive may become difficult to treat with the same drugs in the future.
- Latent TB is treated to decrease the likelihood of its progressing to active TB in the future.
- Active TB is treated to improve the health of the infected person and to decrease the risk of spreading to others.
- Records are available for anyone who has been treated by the Jackson County TB Care and Treatment Board for active TB or latent TB infection. Record requests should be made to 618-684-3143, ext. 151 or 106, or addressed to JCHD, Nursing Division.